However your day is going today, it’s about to get better. I can confidently say these lemon muffins are some of the best you will ever taste. Follow the recipe exactly, weigh your ingredients and you’ll be enjoying these soft, tender muffins in no time.
These delightful muffins are perfect for breakfast, brunch or an anytime snack. I love enjoying one with a cup of strawberry or chamomile tea.
- 2 1/4 cups (10 1/8 oz or 289g) all purpose flour, sifted
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3/4 cup (6 oz or 170g) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup (7 oz or 198g) sugar
- zest of 2 medium lemons
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon pure lemon extract
- 1 cup (8 oz or 227g) sour cream, room temperature
- 1 cup (4 oz or 113g) powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Line a 12-serving muffin pan with tulip baking liners.* (You can also use standard muffin liners. They hold less batter so you may end up with a couple of extra muffins.)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl, cream butter, sugar and lemon zest, with an electric mixer, until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time and beat until well combined.
- Add extracts and beat until well combined.
- On low speed, mix in flour mixture in two additions alternating with half of sour cream after each addition. Mix just until combined. Batter will be thick.
- Divide batter evenly into muffin liners. (If using standard muffin liners, fill 3/4 full.)
- Bake at 375ºF for 5 minutes. Turn oven heat down to 350ºF and continue baking muffins until toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean, about 12-16 more minutes. Do not over bake.
- Transfer muffins to a cooling rack to cool completely. Brush icing onto muffin tops with a small pastry brush.
- Whisk icing powdered sugar, melted butter, and 1 tablespoon lemon juice together until smooth. Add additional lemon juice until desired consistency is reached.
*To find tulip muffin liners, click here.
To find floral tulip muffin liners, click here.