A cute little, stress-free, perfectly pink heart cake is my gift to you for Valentine’s Day. The vanilla cake is soft and fluffy. The frosting is super easy and delicious, with only two ingredients. It all comes together with fresh strawberries and it’s so good, you won’t want to share.
- 1/2 cup chopped strawberries
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 cup (4 ounces) cake flour, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3 tablespoons (1 1/2 ounces) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup (3 1/2 ounces) sugar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil or neutral oil of your choice
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup whole milk, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons sour cream, room temperature
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 7.5 ounce jar Marshmallow Fluff
- tiny drop pink gel food color I used Americolor deep pink*
- In a small bowl, combine strawberries and 2 teaspoons sugar. Set aside to macerate for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line the bottom of a 6-inch heart shaped cake pan*** with parchment paper. Grease and flour the sides.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, cream butter, sugar and oil with an electric mixer, until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg and vanilla in two separate additions until well combined.
- In a small bowl, whisk together milk and sour cream.
- Beat flour mixture into batter in two additions, alternating with milk mixture.
- Transfer batter to prepared cake pan. Bake until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 25-30 minutes. Let cake cool in pan 10 minutes then turn out onto a cooling rack to cool.
- In a large bowl, stir cream cheese with a spatula to smooth out lumps.
- Add marshmallow fluff and beat until well combined. Add food gel color with a toothpick and beat until evenly distributed.
- Split cake into two layers. Top the bottom layer with frosting. Drain strawberries and spoon onto cake. Top with second layer, then more frosting.
- To make sugared strawberries, mix 1 part meringue powder with 3 parts water. Dip strawberries in meringue mixture, cover with sugar, then let dry. Alternately you can dip the strawberries in pasteurized egg whites, cover with sugar, then let dry.
*To find the gel food color I used, click here.
**To find meringue powder, click here.
***To find the heart cake pan I used, click here.