This is the ultimate chocolate chip bread! There are no cookies in this recipe, but it tastes so much like freshly baked chocolate chip cookies that Chocolate Chip Cookie Bread is the perfect name for it. Brown sugar, vanilla and jumbo chocolate chips really help to mimic that beloved chocolate chip cookie flavor. I love the big pockets of chocolate that come from using jumbo chocolate chips, but of course you can substitute regular or mini chocolate chips if you prefer.
I typically wait until a loaf is cooled off before slicing it, but in this case, I wanted to capture the melted pools of chocolate for the video. The fresh baked chocolate chip aroma was so heavenly, that it took all of my willpower not to immediately devour the entire loaf! It’s easier to slice a fresh baked loaf when it’s cooled off. But if you want to experience the melty chocolate chips, warm your slice in the microwave for 10 seconds.
To watch the TikTok video, click here.
- 1 3/4 cups (7 7/8 oz or 223g) all purpose flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup (4 oz or 113g) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup (7 oz or 200g) packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (4 oz or 120ml) whole milk
- 1/2 cup (4 oz or 113g) sour cream
- 1 1/3 cups (8 oz or 227g) jumbo semisweet chocolate chips I used Ghirardelli Grand Chips*
- 1 teaspoon all purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Line the bottom of a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with parchment paper. Grease and flour the insides.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the 1 3/4 cups flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until fluffy and well combined.
- Beat in egg, egg yolk and vanilla in 3 separate additions, making sure each one is fully incorporated before adding the next.
- In a small bowl, whisk milk and sour cream together.
- Add flour mixture to batter in two additions, alternating with half of milk mixture after each addition. Beat just until combined. Do not over mix.
- Set aside a handful of chocolate chips for top of loaf. In a small bowl, toss remaining chips with 1 teaspoon flour, making sure to coat them all, then fold them into the batter. This will help to prevent them from sinking.
- Transfer batter to prepared baking pan. Top with reserved chocolate chips.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Turn oven heat down to 325ºF and continue baking until loaf is golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 45-50 more minutes.
- Cool loaf in pan for 10 minutes then turn loaf out onto a cooling rack.
*If you want to use mini chocolate chips, use one cup (6 oz or 170g)