Chocolate gingerbread is gingerbread’s elegant sister. It has the warm spices we love in gingerbread combined with the earthy depth of chocolate. Topping this rich, tender loaf with silky cream cheese frosting is the best possible choice to take it over the top. It’s a lovely loaf to enjoy during the holiday season and beyond. Enjoy it with a hot drink for a cozy, comforting winter treat.
- 1 1/4 cups (5 1/2 ounces)) all purpose flour, sifted
- 1/3 cup (1 ounce) Dutch process or dark unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg, preferably freshly ground
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup (7 ounces) dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil or neutral oil of your choice
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream, room temperature
- 1/2 cup whole milk, room temperature
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons (1 ounce) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups (8 ounces) powdered sugar, sifted
- 2-3 tablespoons whole milk, room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- pinch fine sea salt
Cream Cheese Frosting
- Preheat oven go 350ºF. Line the bottom of a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with parchment paper. Grease the insides and dust with cocoa powder.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together, flour, cocoa powder, cinnamon, ginger, baking powder, baking soda, salt, allspice, nutmeg, and cloves.
- In a large bowl, beat brown sugar, oil, eggs and vanilla until smooth.
- In a small bowl, whisk together sour cream and milk.
- Add flour mixture to egg mixture in two additions, alternating with milk mixture, beating just until combined.
- Transfer batter to prepared pan. Bake until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 38-45 minutes.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes, then turn loaf out onto a cooling rack to cool completely. Frost with cream cheese frosting.
- In a medium bowl, beat butter and cream cheese together until smooth.
- Add powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons of milk, vanilla and salt. Beat until smooth. Add additional milk, if needed, until desired consistency is reached.