Ever since a certain celebrity cut a hole from the middle of her favorite olive oil cake back in 2020, the internet has been obsessed with olive oil cakes. I must confess that I was a fan of olive oil cakes long before that. I first tasted one at a restaurant years ago and fell in love. The flavor and texture was so delightful, that all it needed was a dusting of powdered sugar on top. Now that the dust has settled, I’m sharing my favorite orange olive oil cake recipe. Not because it’s trendy, but because it’s a really delicious recipe that tastes like spring.
I made cute little orange scented, personal cakes that are really just elegant cupcakes. The recipe is easily adapted to your tastes. You can switch up the orange flavor and substitute with lemon or any citrus of your choice. Even if you don’t like olive oil, you’ll still like these little cakes. I used light olive oil, rather than extra virgin olive oil, for a more subtle olive oil flavor. It’s also able to withstand higher temperatures. Feel free to use your favorite olive oil or replace it with the oil you prefer. Grape seed, avocado, canola and vegetable oil are some examples of oils you can use as a replacement.
This recipe contains almond flour. It helps with texture and flavor, so it’s a necessary ingredient. Almond flour can be pricey, but it’s good to have on hand. Adding it to your baked goods will make them more moist and tender. To find almond flour click here,
- 1 cup (4 oz or 113g) cake flour, sifted
- 1/4 cup (1 oz or 28g) almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2/3 cup (4 5/8 oz or 133g) sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (4 oz or 118ml) light olive oil
- 1/4 cup (2 oz or 59ml) whole milk
- 1/4 cup (2 oz or 59ml orange juice
- 1/4 cup (1 3/4 oz or 49g) sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- powdered sugar for dusting the tops
Mini Orange Olive Oil Cakes
Orange Simple Syrup
- Heat oven to 350ºF. Grease and flour a 12 serving muffin pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together cake flour, almond flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat sugar, eggs, orange zest and vanilla extract together until smooth.
- Gradually mix in olive oil and beat until well combined.
- Stir in dry ingredients in two additions, alternating with milk and orange juice. Stir just until combined. Do not over mix.
- Fill prepared muffin pan cups 2/3 full with batter. Do not overfill or cakes will be more difficult to remove.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until tops look light golden, but still moist and a toothpick inserted comes out clean. They bake very quickly, so check them a few minutes early to avoid over baking.
- Cool cakes in pan for 5 minutes. Remove from pan and transfer to a wire rack.
- Brush warm cakes with orange simple syrup and allow to cool completely.
- When cakes have cooled, dust with powdered sugar.
- In a small saucepan, stir together sugar, orange juice, lemon juice, and orange zest.
- Heat over low heat, stirring occasionally, just until sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from heat and set aside to cool.