I took my love of personalized trail mixes to the next level by creating these Chocolate Trail Mix Cookies. Everything I love about those wonderful add-ins is combined in cookie form, then dunked in melted chocolate. They become beautiful when you decorate the tops with the add-ins. I used freeze-dried raspberries for my cookie tops because of the tartness and vibrant red color. Feel free to choose your favorite combination of add-ins and get creative when decorating the tops. Your additions combined, minus the oats, should be about two cups.
- 1 3/4 cups (7 7/8 ounces) all purpose flour, sifted
- 1/3 cup (3/4 ounce) unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup (8 ounces) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup (2 3/4 ounces) quick oats (not instant)
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) coarsely chopped almonds, preferably toasted
- 1/2 cup (1 ounce) unsweetened coconut chips
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) dried cranberries or cherries
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) pistachios, preferably toasted
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) shelled pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- 8 ounces melted semisweet or dark chocolate
- 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil or vegetable shortening
- A few handfuls of freeze-dried raspberries, whole almonds, pistachios, coconut and pumpkin seeds to decorate tops
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- In a large bowl, cream butter, brown sugar, and sugar together with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs and vanilla in three separate additions until well combined.
- On low speed, beat in flour mixture just until combined.
- Fold in oats, almonds, coconut, cranberries, pistachios and pumpkin seeds.
- Place 1 1/4 ounce round portions (about 2 tablespoons) three inches apart on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake until tops are set and no longer shiny, about 10-12 minutes.
- Transfer cookies to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Combine melted chocolate and coconut oil in a small deep container, wide enough to fit the width of your widest cookie. Dunk cookies about halfway into chocolate. Top with nuts and seeds.