These soft, tender, fluffy, sweet cornbread muffins are my favorite version of cornbread ever! No hate to the crumbly, savory cornbread that some people prefer. Coincidentally, the latter has fans who leave the angriest comments on my cornbread posts. Maybe their cornbread is making them cranky. This cornbread recipe is delightful and would cheer up anyone, especially when it’s served warm and slathered with butter and honey. Positively divine.
I used a square muffin pan because it makes the muffins look absolutely adorable. The pan is also known as a brownie pan. The pan details are in the recipe notes. Feel fee to use a standard round muffin pan instead.
- 2 1/2 cups (11 1/4 ounces) all purpose flour, sifted
- 1 1/3 cups (9 3/8 ounces) sugar
- 1/2 cup (2 1/2 ounces) cornmeal
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil or neutral oil of your choice
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) unsalted butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease and flour a 12-serving square muffin pan, also known as a brownie pan.* (You can also use a traditional round muffin pan. The baking time may be a little shorter.)
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk eggs, sour cream, oil and butter until smooth.
- Add egg mixture into the flour mixture and mix just until combined. A few lumps are okay.
- Transfer batter to prepared pan, filling wells halfway full. (Fill 2/3 full if using a round muffin pan.)
- Bake until edges turn golden brown and a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, about 17-20 minutes. Do not over bake!
- Let cool in pan for 5 minutes them transfer muffins to a cooling rack. Serve warm or room temperature.
*I used a Fat Daddio's square muffin pan. It's available at kitchen stores and online. If you can't find that one, Chefmade also makes a good one. The cavities on that one are a little smaller, so the baking time may be shorter. To find it, click here.
If you're using a dark colored pan, reduce your oven temperature to 325ºF